mbed - WiFi DipCortex

A 40 Pin Dip packaged development board enabling you to create internet connected products

mbed - WiFi DipCortex

Postby Carl-SolderSplash » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:57 pm

Our mbed notebook page lists all of our Example projects.

The primary example project is now the Kitchen Sink + USB CDC which you can find here

A pre-compiled binary from the mbed example can be downloaded here
Carl-SolderSplash
Site Admin

Re: mbed - WiFi DipCortex

Postby GilesHutch » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:26 pm

Thanks for the WiFiDipCortex boards :-)

Apologies in advance for being a bit of a newbie. The boards show up as Mass Storage devices fine on my XP machine. :-)

As suggested to run USB-CDC I have downloaded and unpacked the zip file as suggested here:-

"Projects that implement USB CDC require a driver, which you can find here : http://www.soldersplash.co.uk/docs/DipC ... SB-CDC.zip"

I have seen the USB_ROM_CDC.txt file, which advises :-
1- Install USB CDC Driver
2- Jumper PIN25 and PIN26
3- Find the New LPC Com Port
4- Using a coms terminal, like putty, open the com port
5- All data sent via the USB COM port should be echo'd back while the PIN25 is connected to PIN26

Please could you advise how I execute steps 1 and 3 ?

Thank you

Kind regards
Giles H
GilesHutch

Postby Carl-SolderSplash » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:38 pm

Hi Giles,

The zip file contains test firmware as well, the .txt file gives you instructions to create a loop back with this test firmware so that data sent is received. For mbed you can ignore this.

To get started,
  • 1 - Flash the wifi DipCortex with the Mbed-USBKitchenSink .bin
  • 2 - Download the CDC driver extract the contents in side is a folder called "CDC_inf" this holds the USB CDC driver
  • 3 - Reset the device and observe a new USB device attached to the PC. Goto Control Panel > System > Device Manager
    Under Other Devices, you should see a new unknown device appear. Right click and choose update driver. Click browse my computer and Choose the "CDC_inf" folder from above.
  • 4 - Windows will give you an unsigned driver warning, accept this.
  • 5 - Once windows has installed the driver you should now see a new com port in device manager, "LPC USB Vcom Port (COMXXX) - the XXX part will indicate your comport number
  • 6 - Now in your favorite coms terminal, I use putty. Open that com port any baud rate and hit enter to see the menu

Once you have that working you can use smartconfig to connect it to an access point or modify the mbed code to hard code your own access point details.
Carl-SolderSplash
Site Admin

Re: mbed - WiFi DipCortex USB-CDC working

Postby GilesHutch » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:12 pm

Carl,

Much appreciated. Putty menu up and working.

The things I didn't understand, that are blindingly obvious when you know how are:-

1. If you re-start the WiFiDipCortex board with the boot button down, your binary file is removed and replaced with the original firmware.bin . I kept checking to see if my new binary was there...and it never was...
2. I needed to put a Binary onto the WiFiDipCortex board with that included the CDC code, to make windows request the USB-CDC driver installation.
3. That i needed to point to the CDC_inf directory for installation of the driver.

Also the code at the link to https://mbed.org/users/SolderSplashLabs ... le-an-led/ from your home page does not loop, so no flashing.

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers
Giles H
GilesHutch

Postby Carl-SolderSplash » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:37 pm

Thanks Giles,

Useful feedback! Glad your up and running.
Carl-SolderSplash
Site Admin

Postby gordwait » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:38 pm

Warning: New to mbed, new to the Wifi DipCortex..

Where is the documentation? The wiki pages all have the pinout, but mention two buttons on this module, I see one near the USB.
Took a guess that this is the boot button.

Ubuntu linux: Pressed the single button while plugging in to USB, saw the firmware.bin on a mass usb storage, so I updated it with an mbed.org online compiled copy from my newly imported copy of the WifiDip-USB-Kitchen Sink demo..

Then I replugged without buttons pressed to boot the demo.

Ok, now what? I see one forum member mentions a file USB_ROM_CDC.txt file with what looks to be MS Windows instructions..

Are there a list of instructions for Linux?

I seem to be missing a basic roadmap. I suspect once I know the development flow my questions here will have obvious answers, but at the moment I'm lost. Going to see if there is a "blinkled" app for this board next..
gordwait

Postby gordwait » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:40 pm

I too have the Dip Wifi connected to a serial console on windows 7 (using TeraTerm) and I can see the demp kitchen sink menu (yay, it's alive!).

I have a dumb question about smartconfig, can't get it working..

It looks like smartconfig expects that my C3300 gadget is already connected to my "home" network.
How do I get it to connect to the network in the first place?

I ran smartconfig on an iPad, and it shows the iPad connected to the local wifi network, but it never seems to connect when I hit the start button.

If the Dip Wifi is not already connected to the same network, how can smartconnect find it?

I don't see any new local Wifi hot spots showing up when I power the Dip up via USB.. Should I?

I selected "start smartconfig" in the serial console at the same time as pressing Start on the ipad app...

Very odd..
gordwait

Postby Carl-SolderSplash » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:57 pm

Hi,

The built in boot loader in accessed via the single button on the wifi dipcortex, a normal dipcortex has 2 buttons.

The bootloader was written by NXP to work with windows and has to be used carefully on MAC/Linux. The best was is to use dd via the command line :

dd if={new_firmare.bin} of=/Volumes/CRP\ DISABLD/firmware.bin conv=notrunc

An Mbed Getting started guide can be found here : http://developer.mbed.org/teams/Solder- ... -with-mbed

SmartConfig, you need to put the wifi dipcortex into smart config mode, the kitchen sink examples show you how. You then use the smart config app. The CC3000 listens to the raw traffic and somehow picks up on a config packet, when received it uses the info to connect to your network. TI haven't, as far as I know, described fully how it does this. But it works!
Carl-SolderSplash
Site Admin

Return to WiFi DipCortex